Basketball is a Family Business.
Sometimes you’re around people and you feel like they’re meant to be doing something. John Lucas is like that for me. He found the intersection in life that we all look for where passion meets work, joy, determination, and equals success. Not an easy road by any means to get there, but a true blessing when you get to do what you love. This is what the game of basketball has done and will continue to do for so many people.
I had a few minutes to sit down with Coach Lucas and he was gracious enough to share a little “life” with me. My words really won’t do it justice, but here are some of the nuggets I pulled from our time.
How do you go from GOOD to GREAT?
1. The ability to work smart, gotta work hard, but you gotta work smart.
2. Know the difference between Team and Individual Work. There’s a time and place for each. Great players learn to play the game and can fit into any system.
3. Find people who can confront you to make you better. Speak the #TRUTH
How did you get to where you wanted to go?
1. Learned to find ways to work w/ as many people as possible. You need to hear things from a lot of different angles, so you can develop a gauge for yourself.
2. Created a checklist or stole it from somewhere… Identify S.W.O.T.
Get players/people to TAKE INVENTORY of themselves and their lives.
How do you continue to develop?
1. Books – The Bible, AA Creed and the Good Ol’ Book of Life
2. People – Learn from everybody
This is a GREAT reminder for all of us…
“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
…Living one day at a time; enjoying each moment at a time; accepting hardship as a pathway to peace; taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; trusting that You will make all things right if I surrender to Your Will; so that I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with you forever in the next. Amen.”
If you read this Coach Lucas, know that you are changing lives at all levels, both on and off the court. Thanks for taking time for me. #RESPECT
Learn. Share. Grow. #GetBetter #GrowTheGame